Thursday, July 7, 2011

Independence Day '11

“All that I have, and all that I am, and all that I hope, in this life, I am now ready here to stake upon it; and I leave off as I begun, that live or die, survive or perish, I am for the Declaration. It is my living sentiment, and by the blessing of God it shall be my dying sentiment: Independence, now, and INDEPENDENCE FOR EVER.” 
John Adams (quoted in a beautiful talk given by Ezra Taft Bensen, November 1976)

How grateful I am for the founding fathers of our country and the foundation of liberty, freedom, and peace they created for those who live today.  I know my children don't fully appreciate the sacrifice, courage, and divine inspiration that laid the bedrock for the freedoms we enjoy, but I hope for the few days surrounding the 4th of July, their hearts were touched for a moment and they felt a sense of appreciation and gratitude toward the great men and women whom we owe so much.

Some pics from our celebration . . .

Ryan and friend Jeffy at the Granite breakfast

Traditional pic with the flags - note Liza's enthusiasm . . .

All smiles as we wait for the parade to begin (candy sacks READY!)
The youth from our ward getting ready for the parade . . .

OPERATION SMILE!

And they're off on the parade route . . .

Caroline explaining to the kids she is already out of candy

More neighborhood kids!

Our favorite - fresh eggs and horses - feels like country :-)

At the club that evening to watch fireworks

The girls are ready . . .


HAPPY 4TH!

No comments: