Tuesday, December 6, 2011

yosemite


"Everyone needs beauty as well as bread, 
places to play in and pray in, where nature 
may heal and cheer and give strength 
to the body and soul alike . . ."
John Muir

 Giant sequoias in Mariposa Grove
 1800 yr. old "Grizzly Giant"
 Yosemite Valley - beautiful morning for a hike . . .
off we go . . . straight up from the valley floor 3.8 miles/3300 ft. elevation gain

on our way to to the top of these granite walls

 getting closer
LOVED these trees 
we made it- time to SIT!
 aahhh, yes - taking in the views while eating lunch!
Minor freak-out from Chris as I walked out on this rock . . .
 this is as close to the edge as Chris would venture
 The river right before it heads over the cliff

 Yosemite Point - unbelievable, majestic, breathtaking - best views in the park!
 heading back down - the sun reflecting on Half Dome
 El Capitan . . . next trip we'll hike to the top and watch the rock climbers summit!


I don't think I'll ever be able to aptly express how I feel about Yosemite.  Obviously, I haven't visited all the national parks our country has to offer, but out of the parks I have been to, Yosemite is and probably always will be my favorite.  There is a spirit here that touches my spirit and rejuvenates my soul.  The place seems to me a living, breathing entity, which, like a person is constantly changing as the day progresses from early dawn, to bright afternoon, to dusk, to blackest of night.  We were privileged this trip to not only hike to the top of the tallest waterfall in North America, but descend by a full moon (thank goodness just the last 1/3 mile) and then witness that moon rise over half dome from the meadow and light up the impressive, towering granite face of El Capitan.  I will NEVER forget the view of Yosemite valley that night from "tunnel view" as we were departing the park and heading back to our hotel . . .

and hope to return to see it again.

No comments: