Friday, April 9, 2010

Daily thoughts

Each day I've been reading a scripture from the Old Testament followed by a short commentary.  I figure it's going to be about as close as I'll come to this year's study of the Old Testament.  I did take "Old Testament" in college and think once through the entire book will suffice until the children are out of the house ;-).  So, I thought every now and again this year it would be nice to share a scripture and thought that spoke to me, and may make a difference in your lives as well . . .

"And thou shalt remember all the ways which the Lord thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart."

Deuteronomy 8:2

Commentary:  "This life is full of 'wilderness experiences' that test our mettle and provide opportunities to soften our hearts.  Indeed, our hearts are revealed in the crucibles of suffering.  We can become bitter or angry because of tribulations, or we can become stronger, more faithful and humble.  These divine tutorials are preparing us for life hereafter, even as they expand our souls in mortality.  We can develop the attributes of godliness in the furnace of affliction.  We can prove ourselves worthy of exaltation.  In life's journey, the Lord will not leave us comfortless.  As he did for ancient Israel, the Lord will lead and guide us.  If we stay on the path and strive for righteousness with all our hearts despite mistakes and shortcomings, he will not abandon us or forsake us.  His promise is sure."

3 comments:

Julie Pia said...

Beautiful.... thanks!

Kristin said...

lol. I'm not a huge fan of the OT, but due to my calling in SS, I'm being forced to study it. I think I like your approach better. lol.

Joan Nichols ERYT said...

Julie,
I have never read Deuteronomy - just parts from time to time. I liked this passage and even more so your commentary, I found it very helpful. I have been going through a sensitive time with friends and being reminded that God is there with me on this journey is very comforting. Thank you for this beautiful reminder.
Have a peaceful evening!
Namaste,
Joan