Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Let's get cooking . . .

~ Sarah Caldwell~

Yes, I am very grateful this evening for the amazing example my mother and mother-in-law have been year after year as our family traveled to "grandma's house" for Thanksgiving dinner.  I knew eventually I would need to grow up and take my turn . . . well, the time has come my friends, and I am finally entering the threshold of becoming a full fledged "adult" and hosting Thanksgiving dinner at our home.

I am also grateful that my parents came into town this afternoon and my dad and I will be getting up together early morning tomorrow to prepare the turkey (I would really be sweating it right now if my dad wasn't here to help me along).    But I guess on this Thanksgiving eve I am forever grateful for the fabulous recipes that our family has been making every year since I was a little girl.  Favorite recipes that have become such a part of our family tradition that Thanksgiving wouldn't be the same if my daughters and I didn't prepare my great-grandmother's amazing yams and apples, or my mother's homemade crescent rolls and took them with us wherever we were having our meal.

So, after letting Sophie help prepare the yams/apples dish, and Liza help make the dough for the rolls, with Caroline telling us that tomorrow SHE is in charge of making the rolls, I wanted to record these recipes on our blog and pass on a little Howick family goodness to the rest of you . . .

Grandma Webb's Yams & Apples
4 yams: peeled, boiled until tender, sliced
4-5 flavorful red apples: core and sliced about 1/4 in.
1 tsp. salt
1 c. brown sugar (packed)
1/4 lb. butter
2 c. water
3 tbs. corn starch
Chopped pecans and cinnamon

In 9x13 dish, alternate yams and apples until dish is full.  In small saucepan, stir other ingredients (except corn starch, pecans and cinnamon) on medium heat until mixed well and hot, then add corn starch with about 1/2 c. mixture in separate dish, stir until blended, then add to saucepan, turn up heat until bubbly, stirring constantly.  Pour mixture over apple/yams, then sprinkle with pecans and cinnamon.

I usually prepare this the night before and refrigerate.  Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.

Mom's Thanksgiving Crescent Rolls
1 Tbs. yeast
1 Tbs. sugar
1/3 c. warm water
Scald 1 cup milk and cool
1/2 c. butter
3/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs (well beaten)
4-6 cups bread flour

Mix first three ingredients together in separate bowl and let stand for 10 min.  In mixer, combine everything but the flour and mix well, then add yeast mixture.  Add flour one cup at a time (using dough hook) and continue mixing until dough separates from the inside of the mixing bowl.  Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.

Punch dough down, and divide dough into 3 balls.  On floured surface roll out each ball to desired thickness (not too thin), spread melted butter with pastry brush, then cut with pizza cutter into 8 triangles.  Roll each into crescent shape and place on baking sheet, let rise.  Bake at 375 until golden brown on top, brush with butter while hot.


Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Mmm, I'm excited about this crescent roll recipe—it's funny that my family produced a professional baker because my mom never baked any homemade bread or rolls. Luckily, I didn't have to make the turkey this year, so if it ever comes to that I'll have to call you for a tutorial.

I am thankful for your friendship! Thanks for putting up with another introvert. :)