Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Our new family member

An early Christmas gift for our family.

A puppy.

Mini Aussie.

Black, white, brown.

No name yet (contenders: Millie, Lucy, Dolly).

Adorable, sweet, little girl.

I'm in heaven.  I love her and honestly can't believe after years of telling the kids that we're not sure if we'll ever get a dog, the day finally came and it feels like our family is now complete (especially when we noticed she had fallen asleep in front of the fireplace - it looked so natural to have her right there snoozing next to the Christmas tree).

I just have to share this excerpt from the memoir I am currently reading because it mirrors my emotions so well:

"Five years ago, as I made a delayed and reluctant final peace with the fact that there would be no more babies in our lives, the urge for a puppy came on strong.  It seemed that turning forty, and facing the end of my childbearing years, had unleashed some powerful, latent maternal urge that could be satisfied only by the acquisition of some small dependent creature requiring constant care . . ."


YES, that's it, that's me . . . no more babies, four kids who are needing me less and less, and my uncontrollable desire to be needed by anyone or anything that requires some attention and love.

Of course we're getting a dog, I couldn't think of a more perfect solution :-).

Pictures to come!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, you are so brave. Congratulations! I hope you all love her.

PinkieBling said...

Awww, YAY!!! You can bring her to the lure course this summer. Aussies love it! Can't wait to see pics. :)

Nici said...

I told Rocky something similar. Instead of another baby, we should get a puppy! Not yet though . . .

Kristi said...

How fun! You are such a nurturer, you do need a dog. :)

Thanks for your darling card - I love it!