The little girls just headed out the door to school with their backpacks filled with the obligatory class valentine's, treats, and decorated boxes. Despite the hassle, I LOVE Valentine's day. Not the commercial "buy your sweetheart flowers/chocolate/jewelry" type Valentine's day, but rather the "you are the most amazing people in the world (i.e. family/friends) and I love you, adore you, and think the world of you" type V-day :-).
our valentine's traditions:
- baking and decorating heart-shaped sugar cookies - I tried a new recipe and they were SO yummy - you can find it here.
- making homemade suckers for the kids to give to their favorite friends (we thought we would make them for their classes, but after a couple batches yesterday, I realized it would take forever to make almost 60 suckers, so zipped down to the store to buy treats for the unlucky, less than favorite friends ;-).
- eating heart-shaped waffles with whipped cream and strawberries on V-day morning (unfortunately, it's just the girls b/c the big kids leave too early - I just leave some out for an after-school snack).
- the girls' lunches: ok, I know, a little over the top, but I love surprising them with heart shaped PB & J sandwiches (it's easy - just make the sandwiches and cut out with a cookie cutter and knife).
- helping out with the girls' class Valentine's parties - SO fun!
- DINNER: the kids pick the menu (tacos is the v-day food of choice this year - go figure), and we decorate the table fun and eat by candlelight. Before we eat, the kids have to leave the room and I put a little surprise on everyone's plate (operative word = "little"), and during the meal I insist everyone mentions at least one thing that they love about another family member.
May you all enjoy a LOVEly Valentine's Day!