Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A summer's breeze, nearly full moon, and The Boxer

Li la li . . .

It was just one of those perfect evenings last week that I wish I could capture and keep in a bottle for future use. That's one reason why I began this blog - to remember those experiences that last for a few minutes, then disappear a week later if not recorded. Caroline and I were leaving the park on a perfect summer evening, just the two of us watching the moon rising above Mt. Olympus as we headed to Wasatch Blvd. for our trip back home. The windows were down with the breeze coming through, and then to make our time nearly perfect, Simon and Garfunkel's unmistakable harmony made it's way into the car as I was perusing the radio station . . .

"Now the years are rolling by me, they are rockin even me. I am older than I once was, and younger than I'll be, that's not unusual. No it isn't strange, after changes upon changes, we are more or less the same. After changes we are more or less the same."

Li la li . . .

Caroline put her arms out and leaned out of the window letting the wind catch her hair as she sang along with the radio. As I looked over at her completely enjoying herself without a care in the world I couldn't help but remember how it just seems like yesterday when I would take every opportunity to drive my parent's car around on summer evenings - wherever, i didn't need a destintation - just to have the radio set to my favorite station feeling the cool air of evening. Nothing's changed, except the fact that it's my car now and the opportunities seem to come less often.

My thoughts turned to Caroline and how much of life she has ahead of her and how little she has really lived. Everyday I see her learn more about herself and the world, and as difficult as it is to watch her grow up, I'm actually excited for her to enter into the unsteady universe of teenagers, driving, dates, and independence. My one desire is that we will remain as close as we are now in another five years. However, I know the day will soon arrive when hanging out with mom listening to "old people music" will cause her to hide under the seat rather than wave her arms out the window!

2 comments:

joseph and brianna said...

I can't believe how big she is getting!!! I still remember how little she was when I babysat her. Thank you for your sweet note on my blog. It really means a lot coming from a mom as amazing as you are

analyn said...

Oh, I miss you guys loads. Thanks for sharing such sweet moments, Julie.