Thursday, April 7, 2011

Blue skies and polished floors

Really, what is better than a day when the sun finally makes an appearance (I know, it's still cold, but I'll take any weather as long as the sun is shining at this point :-), and I'm so productive that I actually get to the floors which have been demanding attention for weeks, and make them sparkle?

Our house, for at least 8 more hours is completely dust free and spotless, and I'm seriously considering staying up all night just to revel in the scent of my shiny, clean floors before they are covered once again in the grass from soccer cleats, crumbs, muddy dog tracks, sticky who knows what, and a hundred other miscellaneous items that find their way onto the floor.  Truly, an accomplishment - to have the ENTIRE house clean at one time, and although it requires staying home most of the day, it is so worth it and it keeps me mentally sane.  Sometimes I don't realize how much I really do need to have that time at home alone with my thoughts, my music, and my work.  Those who know me well know I don't function well in a dirty house (organization is an entirely different matter ;-) . . . turning into such a grouch when things are messy, cluttered, or dusty.

Hard work is just good for the soul - it's fulfilling and brings so much satisfaction into my life and makes the subsequent days run smoother.  Today was just a "feel good/smile" day which began with a run through the neighborhood (Lucy's first 2 mile "training run" - um, ya, we've got some work to do), then 6 hours of cleaning while listening to NPR and music, then after school catch up with kids, then drop off Ryan at LAX game, head over to club to play a half hour of tennis outside with Sophie before her lesson (so much fun, this girl can HIT), then back to the LAX field to watch Ryan's game, then home, dinner, quick catch up with Chris, then it's off to take Caroline to piano (get some reading in while I wait), back home, evening wrap up with teenagers, kids in bed, finish polishing floors (downstairs still needed to be done), e-mail/FB catch-up . . . . ahhh, time to write a post.

Another reason it was a great day:  I rediscovered a favorite artist I haven't listened to in literally years, Natalie Merchant.  From what I remember, around the end of senior year in HS and freshman year in college, I listened to this 10,000 Maniacs album ALL THE TIME.  I remembered how much I adored Natalie Merchant - loved her voice, her lyrics, her band, and especially that brilliant passion she imbued into every single note.  This afternoon, I grabbed Caroline's i-pod, and who knew, but she had "In my Tribe" downloaded, and the second I pushed "play" the memories washed over me and I was consumed by Merchant's music once again, as if no time had passed at all.  Enjoy . . .


"Verdi Cries" is so beautiful and her talent so raw, I remember the first time I heard it I almost cried.


This was my absolute favorite song on the album - I listened to it over and over and over . . . for some reason it reminds me of the summer after my freshman year at BYU.


Amazing, brilliant song, what else can I say?  Thanks Natalie for the memories!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love Natalie Merchant/10,000 Maniacs too! And a clean house—feel free to dust at my house anytime! :)

cher said...

You know I get the house thing!! I'm so glad you got that boost - especially going into the weekend. It always mentally frees me up to just ENJOY.