Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Take a moment

“Life moves pretty fast . . .
If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”
Ferris Bueller

This is one of my favorite quotes, from one of our family's favorite movies.  Most days my life seems to move at the speed of a bullet train; running kids around the valley to their games and activities, racing to get errands finished, helping in the school, tennis league, fulfilling church callings, a few minutes here and there catching up with friends, exercise, phone calls, attending meetings, playing fetch with the dog . . . the list goes on.

However, in the midst of all the insanity, I am often caught off guard by the breathtaking beauty of a brilliant sunset as I'm driving high above the valley, or the magnificent sight of our towering mountain range that hugs the freeway as I make my way to and from my various destinations.  I love watching the first signs of the changing seasons out the windows of my car.   The valley below the I-215 corridor has become a living entity as I witness the gradual turn from summer's lush green, to the warm hues of autumn, to the barren branches of winter, and then to the beginning buds of springtime.

This past week nature couldn't have been more kind, as each evening as we made the drive home from the tennis club in Sugarhouse back to our Little Cottonwood, we were blessed with the setting sun illuminating the fresh snow on Mt. Olympus and the Cottonwood canyons in such a manner that I was literally speechless, it was that beautiful.  Of course, I had to try my best to capture the moment on my phone camera (btw, I don't recommend taking pictures and driving at the same time - quite dangerous - just ask the guy I almost swerved into - yikes).

These pictures don't even come close to how fabulous the view was, but I want to remember that feeling of pure "aliveness" that I feel whenever I am so lucky to witness nature it all its glory, and then hold on to the moment for just a few minutes before it becomes a memory.  These are the moments that, even with the "busyness" of my life, I am still able to notice and appreciate . . . it makes my days all the sweeter!
Heading south on 215 coming off Foothill Dr.

Glorious Mt. Olympus
Much better in person - the snow on the peaks was unreal
Making our way to our canyon 
Almost home - the view of our canyon neighborhood from Wasatch Blvd.

My kids get tired of me constantly pointing out the beauty that surrounds them, but I just can't help myself.  I hope that although life is fast paced and we're on the go much more often than not, my family will know that I do slow down enough each day to feel immense gratitude for the beauty that surrounds me, and to feel for a moment the love the Lord has for me as I try to comprehend the bounty of blessings in my life.  

Life is good.  I am reminded of that every single day when my eyes and heart are fully open.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I love that quote too, but am laughing at the thought of you speeding down the highway-- trying to 'stop' and take a moment to take pictures! I'm glad you didn't kill yourself! lol.

Julie said...

ya, me too . . . Caroline was in the front seat and was like, "HERE - give me the phone, I'll take the dang pictures for you!" LOL

Kathryn said...

Oh how I love the beauty of the Wasatch Front!
Thanks for the pictures and reminding me of what I'm missing!