Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sunflowers

Have you seen them? All the clusters of bright, cheery sunflowers in full bloom lining the sides of the road - everywhere! Each morning and afternoon an array of happy flowers greet me as I make my way back and forth into the SL valley. Who can resist a smile as the sun lights up these radiant spots of color. Such a fun reminder that fall is just around the corner, with the blue skies becoming brighter each day and the colors on the mountains beginning to change.

With the cooler weather we're having and the quiet days with the kids at school, I'm officially over my "let summer stay longer" phase . . . I LOVE autumn, everything about it and all the sunflowers have only increased my anticipation. It is such a simple thing, these flowers, they don't do anything but smile at us when we drive by, and if we're not so caught up in a conversation on our cell phones or worried about getting to our destination on time, all they ask is a delightful smile back to spread the cheer. They remind me that it truly is the small and simple things in life that bring us the most happiness.

"How necessary it is to cultivate a spirit of joy. It is a psychological truth that the physical acts of reverence and devotion make one feel devout. The courteous gesture increases one's respect for others. To act lovingly is to begin to feel loving, and certainly to act joyfully brings joy to others which in turn makes one feel joyful. I believe we are called to the duty of delight." - Dorothy Day

1 comment:

Nici said...

Here is your comment so you can find my blog again!