Monday, April 27, 2009

The Little Things

I found this tea towel at one of my favorite boutiques the other day and just had to get it for my oven door, and since I do have days that are less than favorable, I wanted this little reminder that it is those little things that make me the happiest and bring the most joy into my daily life.

In eastern philosophy, the more one dwells on the negative, the more that negativity becomes part of his/her soul, until it eventually takes over. It can be hard to stop that cycle of thinking and there are certainly days when I begin to dwell on the negative, but when my mind turns to those little things that bring joy into my every day, the cycle stops and is replaced with optimism and peace.

Here are just a few of the small, seemingly insignificant things that make me smile and remind me that life IS good:

the sunrise through the kitchen windows
the sweet touch from Chris as he wakes me up every morning and sits on the edge of the bed to talk before he leaves for the day
the eager hugs and kisses from warm little bodies each morning
the mountains surrounding our home, and how they never fail to impress each time I walk back home from the mailbox
good friends, uplifting discussions, spontaneous conversations with neighbors outside while the kids play
laughter, giggles, squeals of delight
the excitement and nonstop chatter surrounding the kids when they arrive home from school each day
the peace inside the house when I have it to myself
the unexpected, touching conversation with a child while we're fixing dinner together
listening to a little one read out loud
taking the time to savor a book, listen to music, or play piano
freshly changed sheets on the bed, soft pillows, and the stars - always there, out the window for me to enjoy as I fall asleep

6 comments:

Kristin said...

thanks. i needed that.

Kathryn said...

Oh so good to remember those little things, isn't it? Thanks for the reminder! I'll try to keep those in mind while I dream of having the house to myself for a little bit!

Kristi said...

darling tea towel, good find!

Oh, and your list made me happy just reading it. Life IS good!

gina said...

I love your list.

Isn't it amazing - the POWER of gratitude. I know you know this because of your month focus last Fall. I think I'm just beginning to understand its power and how to use it. (prayer is simply a daily list/conversation with God of gratitude. - HE knows its power.) I wish I had known the importance of focus when I was younger - because that focus -(Eastern philosophy) on positive or negative really does grow. And it can evolve into impressive amounts. Growing the gratitude - the positive - training our minds and eyes to see the good is the SECRET to a happy life. Thanks for the reminder of the good things today. It is such a lovely day!

Joan Nichols ERYT said...

Life is good, I agree with you 100%!!! Thanks for sharing your ideas - they are beautiful.
Namaste,
Joan

kim said...

Life is good! Feeling a little down and I needed that! Thanks Julie:) You have a way with words.
Love ya,
Kim