Friday, November 28, 2008

16. Motherhood



I know I've posted this video before, but I just had to again today in celebration of being "the Mom." Seriously, it is MY LIFE she is singing about and I love it! Motherhood has got to be one of life's most amazing blessings, at least for me. As my children grow, and the more independent, social, and involved they are becoming is so exciting to observe. I don't know if it's just me, but I get such an adrenaline rush from running my kids around, taking them to activities and their friends, and especially watching them in action whether it's Ryan on the ice in a hockey game, Caroline giggling uncontrollably with her girlfriends, or Sophie and Liza busy in the art room creating their next project . . . it's all such a natural "high" for me.

I think my calling in life was to be a mom, I live for it. It's when our days get outrageously crazy when I feel most alive; when I'm racing Caroline down for a Nutcracker rehearsal, then picking Ryan up at wrestling practice, running back to fix dinner, then hoping back in the car to grab Sophie at ballet class, then gathering everyone back in the kitchen as they work on homework and I fix dinner while one child practices piano . . . definitely the best part of the day.

A wise friend once told me that it's the mother's job to "create the environment and atmosphere" for her family, and I couldn't agree more. Each day I try to remember what a blessing it is to have these children in my home, to be graced by their beautiful spirits, their individual personalities, and all they offer. It's not easy and it's not bliss every day, but when I keep life in perspective and truly remember that these little charges living in my home do not just belong to me, then I can take a step back and a deep breath, give them a big hug and tell them how truly grateful I am that they are mine and how proud I am of each one.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Holy Cow Julie! Your oldest daughter could TOTALLY pass as your identical twin! Wow! I looked at the picture and thought it was you at first. What a beautiful family you have! I have to say AMEN to your post about being mom. I love doing it and am so thankful I get to be home and be mom! I'll try to remind myself that the next time milk is all over the floor, the baby is running through it with spaghetti stuck in her hair, the phone is ringing and we can't find it because the baby has put it in the toilet, etc. etc etc.!!